Thursday, August 9, 2007

Wagons East

Shitty movie title, I know but it’s late for me and I’m tired.

Tomorrow night, Boston may or may not be the first team to 70 wins this year. They’ll head back to the east coast for a three game road series this weekend with the Baltimore Orioles. They haven’t quite enjoyed the success they’ve come to know the past few years against the O’s in ’07, but by all accounts should win the series. The Sox are in the middle of a nine game, 10 day and three city road trip and are 3-3 so far. The Sox will be home next week when they play Tampa Bay then play the Angels again for a four game series at Fenway.

With Boston playing Baltimore and the New York Yankees playing in Cleveland, ending their run of playing the worst teams in the AL, Boston should be able to put at least one more game between themselves and the Yanks. Speaking of the Yanks, after playing a three game series with the Toronto Blue Jays this week that saw A-Rod almost get cut down from the knees, they took the day off along with the Sox. To retaliate the previous games' transgressions, Yankee’s starting pitcher Roger Clemens nailed Jays SS Alex Rios in the middle of his back yesterday. Clemens never ceases to amaze me on what an incredible asshole he can be. Players policing the game themselves, fine, but that should have been taken care of the day it happened. So what happened? Players and managers from both sides were reprimanded, with Clemens facing the stiffest end of the penalty and being suspended for five games. This basically equals dick in that he’ll only miss one start, if he doesn’t appeal. God, I fucking hate the Yankees. It’s not like this doesn’t happen to other teams, but when the Yanks pull it off it just makes me hate them even more.

The series in Anaheim left me with a good feeling that the Sox aren’t just going to fold when a team like the Angels are battling them and are being aggressive. Sure, they avoided the sweep last night and lost the series, but they still played well. Teams that save face and avoid sweeps more often than not do a better job of impressing me. Of course, this week also reaffirmed that I really, really hate reliever Julian Tavarez. In the past three appearances he’s pitched three innings, gave up three earned runs, five hits, three walks and one strike out. This pans out to an ERA of 9.00 with a WHIP of 2.67. I hate you, Tavarez.

Hopefully this weekend they won’t have to turn to him in a close run situation with Dice-K, Josh Beckett and Curt Schilling pitching. One pitcher that needs mention is the newly acquired Eric Gagne. Watching Gagne pitch is like watching a train that’s about to derail every at bat. I almost woke my neighbor up last night so I had someone to slap as I watched him blunder through the 8th inning as he brought the tying run to the plate. However, just when you thought he was going to piss the game away, bam, brilliant pitching. I don’t know how much of that I can take, especially with August fully underway. All-Stars (man, this never gets old) Hideki Okajima and Jonathan Papelbon were brilliant as always with Okajima having to come in and relieve Mike Timlin who had to relieve the Sox from Tavarez in the 5th.

Ok, so completely unrelated to the Sox here, but not unrelated to baseball. Last night I had the best tickets I’ve ever had to a baseball game, ever. My friend and I sat five rows behind home plate, practically dead center. It was the Royals versus the Twins and it never ceases to amaze me how many people make the trek down I-35 from Minnesota to watch their team. If I were a Royals fan I’d probably be really pissed, because there are almost more Twins fans than Royals fans with their gay “Circle Me” signs. I couldn’t tell if I was at a baseball game, or on the set of WWE Monday Night Raw. I almost missed the hot dog race on the video board. Assholes. I’d be more pissed because I’d be willing to bet more than half of the fans that were there couldn’t name more than two starters from 1997 ten years ago when they sucked like the Royals are sucking now.

Watching Johan Santana was awesome and he didn’t let me down by pitching a brilliant game. The Twins lineup also decided to make contact with the baseball and racked up 19 hits and 11 runs on the seemingly hapless Royals so that was fun to watch too. Of course, those same Royals would pick up their 50th win and take the series against the Twinkies this afternoon.

I just got done watching Baseball Tonight and did not know that Royals have only won eight less games than the Twins. Could the Royals be turning it around? I sure hope so. This town is just waiting on the edge of their seat for their hometown boys to get back to respectability. I’m still amazed how on the weekends fans show up en masse (relative to sub .500 teams) at Kauffman Stadium (and sometimes during the week) despite the Royals having back-to-back-to-back 100+ loss seasons. You look around the league with the other shitty teams and see less than 10,000 on some days. That never happens here. People want their team back, because in the 70’s and 80’s this team was it. You couldn’t buy a ticket to see the Royals and I think that would really be great if they got that back. Having your hometown team competing and playing meaningful baseball at the end of the season is something I’d really like to experience. On Sundays during the NFL season this city of a little over 2 million completely closes down. It’s really weird. On top of that, if you badmouth the Chiefs down here, you’re likely to get your ass kicked. Last fall, I went and watched my 49ers get whooped at Arrowhead 579-0 last fall and I still got shit the.entire.game. I wish I were kidding. Wearing my Ronnie Lott jersey probably didn’t help. Anyway, I’d like to see that sort of passion for the Royals again. Except for the whole ass kicking thing, beings I’m a Sox fan and all. Below is a really shitty video from my equally shitty cell phone from my seat at last night's game with Royals CF David DeJesus leading off against Santana.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Que?

Anonymous said...

chinga tu padre