Wednesday, December 19, 2007

StFU Makes a Comeback

Speaking of handing out awards, I have an award of my own that I'd like to dole out. And since it's been a few months since I've done so, the recipient had to be special.

Today's "Shut the Fuck Up" goes to baseball legend Pete Rose. That's right, everyone's favorite hard nose playin', gamblin' son of a gun gets a StFU for his comments made yesterday regarding the Mitchell Report.

Charlie Hustle was quoted as saying that players who are using HGH, steroids or any other performance enhancing drug are "making a mockery of the sport." Huh? What was that?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging players to enhance themselves to gain a competitive edge, but I'm not crying foul on the street corner either pretending to be holier than thou. If a player wants to shrink their nuts to get an extra 15 dingers a year, shoot it up then I guess.

He also said that "I never thought anybody would make me look like a choirboy." Right. Because knowingly betting against your own team while managing it isn't in any way as bad as using chemicals to "cheat" or a conflict of interest in any way.

Rose has never been above blowing his own horn to prove how he deserves to be in Cooperstown, and I suppose it was only a matter of time before he used this scandal to do the same thing he's been doing for over 18 years now.

Do I care if he gets into the Hall of Fame? I'm not sure. I do think it's sort of tragically funny that the home run king (Barry Bonds) and all-time leading hitter (Rose) may not get in to Cooperstown. He also stated that if these players who were on the report get into the Hall of Fame that "I've got a shot somewhere."

This is the cherry on top for me. When asked how much better he would be if steroids were as readily available in his day as they were in the last decade or so, Rose promptly replied that "I would have got 5,000 hits."

Nice one dumbass. You decry the use of 'roids now, but you're basically admitting if they would have been around in the 70's you would have shot the stuff up just as quickly as McGwire and Palmeiro.

My advice, stay in Vegas and sign your balls and keep your opinions out of the media. So here you go Pete Rose, you deserve it, now Shut the Fuck Up.

3 comments:

SDTwin said...

So I was just surfing while covering an Augie womens basketball game, where I sit at press row with a bunch of fans right behind me peering over my shoulder, and that pic of Hit King loaded onto my screen.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Why torture yourself pondering baseball all winter? I'll bet you're one of those guys who counts down the days until spring training. Dude, it's HOCKEY season! Live in the now, man. Live in the now...

ZSS said...

Zim, best to just ignore my page when in public. Let this be a lesson to you.

Jethro, I'm not sure the sport of hockey has made it to KC yet. I'll let you know if it does.