Monday, December 10, 2007

Just Who Do You Think You Are??

I know Star Wars is mostly stupid, but the picture is sort of funny, I guess. You'll see why in a minute.

With Santana talks cooling off this week, a new story seems to be dominating a lot of Red Sox fan sites and news aggregates.

Rookie centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbury signed autographs at the Emerald Square Mall in the Boston metro area this past Saturday. Now, this wouldn't be that big of news except for the fact that he's charging $125 per autograph. That's not all, if you've got a shirt or jersey, that'll cost you an extra $25 bucks.

I've paid for Joe Montana's signature on a football helmet. It wasn't cheap. It's on a $600 authentic NFL San Francisco 49ers helmet. Then I dropped an additional $300 just to have Joe Cool put his John Hancock (I said cock) on it. I may have been young and retarded with too much money to burn, but I might do it again given the chance. It's a pretty fucking cool sight. But $150 for Ellsbury to sign a t-shirt? Get fucked.

Now, you might say that it's because Scott Boras just became his agent. I'd say you're right. According to Sox starter Curt Schilling, who refuses to sign at events that charge for his autograph, the asking price for autographs is set by the agent since they make a small percentage of the take.

Look, the guy is a phenom in the making, but paying a 23-year old kid who has played 33 games in the bigs for his sig? That's just flat out gay. A survey was set up on Boston.com to see if the general public who happen to be Sox fans would pay for his autograph. Guess how many people said they would? 7%. 7%! Red Sox fans are some of the most loyal in all of baseball and less than one in ten people would pay for Ellsbury's name on a hat.

If Scott Boras fell off a cliff and died tonight, I don't think I'd even care tomorrow. Or the next day.

Nice Name

In other news, I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to see if Japanese outfielder Kosuke Fukudome is planning on playing baseball stateside. Mainly because I'd love to cheer for him because his name looks like Fuk u dome to me.


Go Fuck you dome!!!

Anyway, he has some offers from other Japanese ballclubs like the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants, Japan's answer to the New York Yankees. They play in a dome that is modeled after the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. Mike Tyson lost his championship to Buster Douglas there. Those Japs have a long way to go with their stadiums. Along with their team logos.

No comments: