Tuesday, April 8, 2008

.500

Well, it ain't going to be the same start we had last year. I'm not sure which factors are leading me to this probably premature conclusion, all I know is that this team seems like they could be in for a bit of a bumpy beginning to the season. Today, however, was a day to celebrate, pass out World Series rings and welcome back the one and only Bill Buckner. That's how happy Red Sox Nation is these days. Hands Across America indeed.

Dusting off a former pariah and shipping him to Boston from exile in Idaho is a big step in a direction most long time Sox die hards didn't think would ever happen. The villain from '86 was back throwing out the first pitch after the current roster had, ironically enough, celebrated their second Series victory in four years.

I missed the entire Toronto series due to the fact I was stuck in house without cable painting all damn weekend. Good thing it was my house, or I probably wouldn't have been there in the first place. I did get to listen to classic rock and Royals games while they boys in blue were in Minneapolis, and while not the best substitute, I did my best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Boston pulled themselves out of the American League East cellar today with a 5-0 win over the seemingly hapless Tigers into a third place tie with New York. The Yanks dropped a game against the buzzsaw (I laughed when I typed that) that is the Royals, who are currently in a first place tie in the Central (with Chicago no less!) while Detroit sits five games back in dead last. I still think I'm going to wake up and it's going to be last Monday. Speaking of waking up, someone please tell the Kansas City roster that they need to look down and read their jersey's and that they say "Royals" across the front.

As much as I would like to see my hometown team do well, I'm digressing from the team I actually follow like a religious monk. Briefly, Dice-K had another solid outing subbing for Josh Beckett as the team's ace. He did his typical Dice-K thing giving up five hits over 6 and 2/3rds while striking out seven. Ortiz and Manny continue to struggle for the most part, making me wonder how the rock solid core of this team will be able to hold on. Hopefully they can find a respectable groove in the next few weeks, or days before the Yanks come to town this weekend. While I move. Goddamnit.

One last thing. I hate the fact that the Sox have some of the dumbest celebrities around.
Steven Tyler - Grade A Douchebag; frontman to a band that hasn't been cool since 1978

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

hells yeah the Royals are in first place. Step off b.

Yeah. I'm tough.