Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hey, Nice Comeback

With my finger on the On/Off button heading into the bottom of the 8th inning last night, I was all prepared to do something other than watch the Twins beat the Sox 5-2. Then I decided that getting off the couch wouldn't be a good idea because, well, I'm sort of lazy most of the time. Good thing I didn't.

It's nice to watch some other team's bullpen screw games up rather than the healthy dose of relief issues I've been witness to this year. Even with a three run lead, I was surprised to see Twins manager Ron Gardenhire bring in Matt Guerrier rather than All-Star Joe Nathan to preserve the lead after Jacoby Ellsbury's lead off double. Even in the next two at bats when Dustin Pedroia singled and pushed Ellsbury to third and JD Drew grounding out to score Jacoby, I was still waiting for the signal from the visitor's dugout to bring in Nathan. Even with the guy who won the game just the night before coming to the plate, Gardenhire stuck with Guerrier.

After Manny's homer I was certain that a pitching change was to be made. You have take your guy out when he's drowning like that, especially in the middle of a raucous Fenway crowd. Right? Nope, Gardy stuck to his guns with the score now tied, even less likely to bring Nathan in now I guessed. I couldn't help but laugh as the Sox took the lead off another double by Youkilis and the eventual go-ahead RBI hit by Brandon Moss.

The Sox and closer Jonathan Papelbon did try and make it interesting with Nick Punto of all people smacking a lead off double and eventually moving to third with only one out. Jason Kubel ended up striking out and Alexi Casilla grounded to Pedroia for the final out of the game. I don't believe the Sox won this game in as much as the Twins coaching staff mis-managed it away. I have to think that Nathan after not being used since Sunday would be capable of pitching for two innings to put the game away. Easier said than done, considering that Gardenhire has been making some poor game time decisions regarding the usage of his pen. Not that I care, a win is a win at this point with the Rays still up by a few games in the division. I'm sure Francona and company will take it any way they can get it.

Random Thoughts

- For those of you that watch SportsCenter, does anyone else think that the "TitleTown USA" contest they are running on their website is much better than last year's "Who's Now?" poll? This is what I hate about ESPN. They take the nickname from a community that is very proud of their team and it's rich history(Green Bay), and trivialize it by having places like Lawrence, Kansas as a finalist for TitleTown. Kansas? Really? Their football team has one good season by playing one of the weakest schedules in all of college football and go to their first major bowl since my Mom was in the 5th grade and now they're at this point?? I understand their basketball program is one of the cornerstones of men's basketball and just coming off their first title in 20 years puts them on the map, but labeling them "TitleTown?" Give me a break. The same goes for Knoxville, Tennessee. And Parkersburg, West Virginia.

- Memo to Brett Favre, please stay on your swamp farm down in Mississippi and shoot some more Wrangler commercials. If I were a Packer fan I would be pissed that one player (albeit a legend) had my entire organization over a barrel. While I was getting ready for work today ESPN analyst John Clayton was talking about how the guys who run the organization don't want to be responsible for running Favre out of town if he wants to come back. Hello! He left town on his own, right?!? I know the Packers are a unique organization, but what a bunch of pussies. General Manager Ted Thompson and company need to grow a sack and tell Favre that the Aaron Rogers era started the day he cried his way out of his retirement press conference. I'm not the guy to tell professional athletes when to retire, but if you say you're gone, then be gone.

No comments: