Thursday, February 21, 2008

In the Air

Ah, spring is finally in the air. Well, at least in Florida and Arizona where most players have checked in and reported to their respective clubs for Spring Training. Meanwhile, in Kansas City, it snowed and sleeted today and never got above 10 degrees with the wind chill.

There will be a battle a brewin’ in centerfield in the month of March. Coco Crisp plainly stated yesterday that if he does not start for the Sox in center he will want out of Boston. My stance is with Ellsbury waiting in the wings and poised to take the starting position and with SS Julio Lugo locked up for the next four years, I’d be inclined to make a trade if I were the Sox front office. But I'm not, and my opinion differs a bit.

This is not big news of course, trade talks for the speedy outfielder have been on the surface since the week after the World Series. I like the fact that he wants to start everyday. If he came into camp and said he would be happy sharing time with Jacoby, I’d question his motivation to be on the squad. I’m of the mind (and so is Terry Francona) that Crisp should start out of the gate unless Ellsbury can show that his playoff fireworks is something he can do consistently rather than it just being a hot streak. On the other hand, keeping him down may cost the Sox in the long run.

GM Theo Epstein is keeping a very diplomatic stance saying that Crisp was a major cog that propelled the Sox to their second World Series Championship in four years. Some of the plays that Crisp was able to make in the outfield were pretty spectacular and keep the Sox run prevention at the top of the league, so you have to give him his due in that department.

Guess who showed up to camp on time? That’s right, none other than Mr. “No Respect for the Game” himself, Manny Ramirez. Manny discussed a lot of questions very candidly. Most importantly, he addressed his future in Boston. The Sox have two options for retaining Manny for the next two years after the ’08 season is complete. That means that this could be his last season in a Sox uniform. I wouldn’t count on that being a possibility. The Sox will more than likely keep him through 2010 and cut him loose.

He can do one of two things. He can either retire which is what he has said he would prefer to do, ending his career in Boston, or he could finish out his years on another team. I’ve always been somewhat indifferent to Manny. I love his bat and yes, I even like his loose attitude. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it makes you scratch your head. He plays left field like the average 10 year old, but during the last seven seasons at Fenway he actually looks like he knows what he’s doing out there while he’s playing at home. You take the good with the bad. They don't say "Manny being Manny" for nothing.

The Sox future is also currently on display down in Fort Myers. Prospects that could have been playing in Twins pinstripes are still within the Boston system and ready to prove their potential. Of course Clay Buchholz isn’t really a hidden gem any longer after his no hitter last September against the Baltimore Orioles, but he still has something to prove this spring. I’ve been pulling for him to be the fifth starter, but you may see him in the bullpen or starting the year out in Pawtucket. Justin Masterson, a player who was reported as part of the almost package deal for former Twins ace Johan Santana will show Boston fans why it was probably a good idea to hold on to him. Am I saying he’s better or will be better than Santana? No, of course not. I’m not that fucking stupid. I’m just saying that the Sox were just in the game to drive the price of Santana up so the Yanks would overpay. It’s my theory and I’m sticking to it. Masterson has a ton of upside and could find himself in the show in the next couple of years. More to come on other future players as Spring Training goes on...

I'm ready for this. The last several months have been hell. No baseball, shitty performance from my football teams and the endless nights of the NBA. Thank God my new cable provider has the MLB Extra Innings package.

No comments: