Thursday, May 10, 2007

Give Me a Break

Why do I have a picture of AJ Pierzynski on my blog? Because I think he’s a goofy looking dude and this picture makes me laugh. Ah, but there is a point. The point is this, which may or may not be news to you, professional athletes sometimes make asses out of themselves. For example:

I figured I’d write a little bit about the “controversy” regarding Boston Red Sox starter Curt Schilling’s comments on San Francisco Giant’s slugger Barry Bonds. Why? Because Boston played a boring (yet excellent) game last night. If you think I watch each game during the regular season like it’s the Goddamn playoffs you’re crazy. So to begin, do I hate the fact that the media will slam a magnifying glass up against crap like this? Yes. Do I hate the fact players slam each other through said media? Yes. Do I hate the fact that radio talk show hosts and Sports Center tell us it’s our fault because they know it’s what we want to hear? More than life itself. It’s the Terrell Owens defense the media uses for everything else. For the record, I fucking hate Owens despite playing for my favorite NFL team at one time.

Ok, so Schilling made a dumb comment while being interviewed on WEEI’s morning show the other day. For those of you that did not hear his comments Schilling basically said that Bonds cheated on his taxes, his wife, and the game. If you listened to the interview you can tell he just rolled out of bed or was still in it. I’ll say anything in the morning. For instance, “sure I’ll go shopping with you today.” Or “my you look beautiful in the morning.” Back to Schilling’s comments. You know what I have to say about it? Big fucking deal. That’s right, BFD. Did he go too far with the wife and taxes thing? Sure, that has nothing to do with baseball and maybe the outspoken veteran should have shut his yap when it comes to things having to do with Bonds outside of baseball. Schil is no stranger to the steroid controversy, so if I were him, I wouldn’t have answered the question anyway, or in the direct fashion that he did. It’s always a little dicey when one player decides to call out another. That being said, I hate Barry Bonds so it makes it a little easier to handle.

Why do I hate Bonds, do you ask? Because he seems like an total asshat and treats a majority of his teammates like shit because he has a problem with insecurity. Relax, Bar, you’re about to break the most sacred of records, have millions of dollars in the bank, and have a career most kids (and adults) would sell their mother for. I’m sick of being told that I should feel sorry for people in that position because no one understands them. Fuck that. Why don’t you come work my job for a six month period and see how much of a hassle it isn’t to play baseball for a living? That being said, I’m not a class warrior type, and I’m not jealous of his money. I have a good job and make decent bank myself. Why am I not envious of his dough? Well, you know a wise man once said mo’ money mo’ problems. Anyway, he just seems like he has no love for the game or the fans, I don't think he ever has. All the baseball cards I have of Bonds he just looks like an asshole. Even when his head was a normal size.

I’m cutting off this Bonds rant before it really gets going. Should Schilling apologize? Yeah, probably. If he called Bonds out on just the steroid thing? Hell no. If you think Bonds hasn’t used ‘roids or hasn't taken HGH, then you’re a giant douche. Stop giving him the benefit of the doubt. It’s fucking obvious. I love how national and local sports jockeys vilify Bonds then turn around and will stick up for him when someone calls him out on his shit that isn’t from their community. That’s why I hate sports talk radio some days.

The next month or so is going to be a clusterfuck of Biblical proportions with Bonds approaching Henry Aaron’s record of 755 career home runs. Which begs another question, do we take too much stock in our records? What’s the big deal anyway? At the end of the day it’s just a number. Even though numbers gets you into Cooperstown. That’s an entirely separate issue and another entry however. I’m just hoping he gets it over with ASAP, and with the Giants coming into town (Boston that is) in a little over a month it may very well happen at Fenway Park. I’m not sure how I’d feel about Bonds hitting his historical 756 at Fenway off Schilling. Wouldn’t that be a media field day? I’m getting queasy just thinking about it. Anyway, I hope he does it at home in San Fran and Boston sweeps the Giants when they come to town. Because that’s the shit that matters to me, winning ball games and championships. If you like what has happened the past few days, go watch fucking General Hospital or something.

1 comment:

SDTwin said...

I hope you mean T.O. used to play for your favorite team. Right?
If you're a Dallas fan now I will kick your ass blog-style.