Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Comeback - The Sequel. Or - Back in the Saddle


It's not an exact replica of the historic run in 2004, however this year's return to the World Series is not without it's gravitas but will no doubt be overshadowed by the recent memory of '04.

Between getting married and honeymooning in Mexico, I missed Games Two through Five. That was fine with me, since three of those four were losses. Good thing I recorded them, as I'll still watch them leading up to Wednesday night. Yeah, I even watch the losses.

Coming back from 3-games to-1 and winning a best of seven series in any sport is highly unlikely. The Red Sox coming back against three of the best pitchers in all of baseball from this season is almost impossible. Even though 2004 taught me that "it's not over until it's over" (sorry for the Yogi quote) I was still banking on the fact that if Cy Young candidate C.C. Sabathia didn't get the Sox, then Fausto Carmona or even Jake Westbrook tonight. Instead the Sox beat up the Indians and outscored them 30-to-5 in the last three games. When this lineup gets clicking, nothing can stop them, in my humble opinion. To illustrate, Westbrook is not one of the three best pitchers I was referring to. That distinction belongs to Rafael Betancourt. When Betancourt entered the game the Sox were only up 3-2. In the past two months Betancourt had only given up three runs. After the smoke cleared it was 11-2.

Even with ALCS MVP Josh Beckett on the mound for Game One of the Worlds Series on Wednesday and with everyone contributing in the batting order, the Sox are running into a buzz saw in the Colorado Rockies. The team that will be dubbed the "team of destiny" is nothing short of miraculous winning 21 if their last 22, holding the Arizona Diamondbacks and Philadelphia Phillies to godaweful numbers and blah blah blah. Everyone who does not have a vested interest in the Sox will probably root, root, root for the Rockies, and they should.

It was my estimation and theory that I pushed on my fellow flight partner last night who did not know me personally on the way back to KC from Denver, that maybe the past week and a half off would help cool off the Rockies as much as the Colorado snow. We'll have to wait and see I suppose if this hypothesis holds up. After watching the Saint Louis Cardinals limp into the playoffs and get hot to with the Series in 2006, I'd hate to see a repeat performance. Sure, the Rockies are a tad different, but I sort of dislike the National League and dislike teams just getting hot at the right time.

One important and pessimistic (what else would you expect from a Sox fan?) fact to remember about the Red Sox vs. Rockies World Series, Boston got bitchslapped back in June at Fenway with Josh Beckett on the mound. Hopefully the offense keeps going like it did the past three games. Just don't count the Sox out until it's all said and done.

P.S. - At this point, you may be mentally retarded if you don't think Dustin Pedroia is a lock for American League Rookie of the Year.

No comments: