Monday, November 19, 2007

Stayin' Put

I’ll be able to go to Boston next year and see Mike Lowell in a Red Sox uniform. I’ll be the first to admit, I bit pretty hard this weekend on the rumor mill regarding Lowell being a first base candidate for the Yankees. I’ll also be the first to say how happy I am that I was wrong for doing so.

The Sox and Lowell agreed to a three-year, $37.5 million deal a couple hours ago. The Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angels Dodgers reportedly were offering four-year deals, but Lowell wisely took one less year and opted to stay in Boston where he’s loved, and where he’s a winner.

This offseason has seen the Sox retain their big two free agents in Lowell and Curt Schilling plus picking up options on ageless wonder Tim Wakefield and hatch man/face Julian Tavarez. Every clubhouse needs a cheerleader I suppose.

Now A-Rod will definitely not be coming to Boston.

1. Because he wants to stay a Yankee where he can make gobs of money and get lots of attention. Oh, did you think he was going somewhere else?

2. Because everyone under the sun is also under the notion that A-Rod has always played third base (he’s actually a much better short stop and played that position while in Seattle and Texas, remember??) his entire career and now that Lowell is resigned, there is no need to pursue A-Rod.

So, things are all good in Boston. And considering the Patriots are playing in a league above the NFL, I’m sure Bostonians are getting another championship sometime in February. I watched them drill the Bills last night, good God, it’s not ever fair. I’m not a fan, but it is cool to watch Belichick stick it to the league after the whole “SpyGate” ordeal. I don’t condone cheating, but you know they weren’t the only team doing it, they were just the only team that got caught.

Anyway, I’m off my NFL soapbox now…

No comments: